A leather jacket is an investment piece and one you’ve probably been thinking about for a good few years. It’s an item I always knew I wanted, but found reason to check the price tag and run quickly out of the store. It wasn’t until I worked at AllSaints as a Stylist that I really couldn’t put it off any longer. There are so many reasons why investing in a leather jacket is a good thing to do for your confidence and your wardrobe.
Advice | How to buy
There are a few things I picked up whilst working at AllSaints. I would be selling leather jackets to various people; young to old, all with varying body types and uses for a leather jacket. So, here are my top tips on what to look out for…
1. Ask yourself why you want a leather jacket? Is it to chuck on as an everyday piece? Is it to dress up an outfit? Knowing this will help you find the style of jacket and the type of leather suited to you. For example, a Conroy/ Cargo (both from AllSaints) will suit a more casual everyday style, whereas a Balfern (the one I’m wearing) is a more refined leather so, would suit a dressier, smarter look.
2. The fit is SO important, I can’t stress this enough. If you’re purchasing a natural leather, be aware that the more it is worn the more likely it is that it’ll stretch. Not massively, maybe an inch or two around the top of your back. To make sure the fit is right, look at your shoulders, you want the shoulder stitching to be aligned with your body, this indicates a good fit.
3. Will you do it up? When you are in the store, make sure you wear it how you would wear it normally. The advice we gave to customers at AllSaints is that if you are flirting between two sizes always go for the smaller size! If you can’t zip it up, ask yourself; will you ever do it up?
Reasons to Buy | You’ll never fall out of love
To invest in a truly great leather jacket is a massive purchase for most, but one you’ll never regret. Here are 5 reasons to justify splashing out…
1. You’ll wear it all year round. Drape them over your shoulders to shield yourself from that summers night chill, look effortless in spring with a casual tee and leather look, in the autumn layer it up over a jumper and in winter look fashionable by styling it under a winter coat.
2. You can wear it for every occasion. They look great in the daytime for running errands and look at home in a bar or a night out.
3. They are a timeless piece. They are everywhere all the time.
4. They are great for stylish layering. As shown in the photos.
5. They are uber cool. If it’s good enough for Kate Moss, they are good enough for me.
Leather jackets have a way of transforming an outfit and making it ten times more amazing without looking like any effort has been made. They completely transform the way I feel and boost my confidence massively.
So, what are you waiting for?
Hello, I’m Samantha. A twenty-two-year-old fashion communication and promotion graduate. An avid shopper, lover of interiors and good coffee addict.